Monday, February 9, 2009

Day 10 February 7, 2009 (Sat)




"I can't give you much, but I can tell your story (Unknown)."


I finally got to sleep in! Well sleeping in was waking up at 7am so I don't know what you might call it but I call it magic. We lounged around the house most of the morning. A couple nieces and nephews were there so we watched Saturday morning cartoons for hours and hours. It was great! I haven't done that in forever.

After lunch, I went with Alex, Maria, Stephen and a few of Maria's siblings and their kids to do the coolest thing. It goes right along with the quote I chose for the day. Alex and Maria invited me along on this youth outreach. I thought it was through their church but nope, it's just them and their big hearts trying to make a difference. We went to a really poor barrio (neighborhood). Now to be clear, Nicaragua is a pretty poor country overall. People exist in poverty here. Most people who work 8-10 hour jobs and earn under $2 A DAY!! There are even more people who don't work and lots who don't have an education. Adults and children alike so to say that I could tell this neighborhood was extremely poor is saying a lot. Now I'm sure there may be other areas in Nicaragua with even less and I honestly hope I get to see those places too because there's something about these images that don't leave the human spirit alone.

Homes were made of tin on the side or roof used like shingles nailed together or rested against one another. People used anything they could to cover their homes like plastic bags or sheets and clothing. Dirt floors and most of what I saw was one room so you sleep and eat in the same space. I saw kids getting washed outside with a bucket of water. No security except barbed wire as a gate to most dwellings but you basically can have no significantly valuable items because essentionally you live outside, it's very open and vulnerable. Humbling.

So we drove through and got out to walk around and tell these parents and kids that we were going to do something special for the ninos down the road. Be sure to look at the pictures I'll have posted on facebook. It was pretty cool to see these kids and moms excited about what we were doing. The little ones traveled down that dirt road, hand in hand. So we sang a couple songs while Alex played guitar. Then Maria preached about Jesus! After all that, we fed them. At home Maria had fixed this extremely large bowl of spaghetti. They brought along 2-3 loaves of bread and every single kid there received a plate of food, bread and a juice. They stood in line so nicely and waited to get served. Then they sat around and ate every drop. I dunno but it's the kind of story that almost brings me to tears.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe that God is omnipresent and I know that God was there on that dirt road next to that old airport runway strip standing under the hot sun with those bright hearts and brilliant smiles. I may not speak the language very well but I understood everything that happened there that day. I believe part of the reason I am here is to experience God in ways that I never have before. To know trust and faith and humility outside of the comforts of my United States. As I stood around, I thought of all that I could do and everything my money could help pay for here. Not that I have much but I have something to offer. I wanted to offer the world but I didn't promise anyone anything. There was one girl I have a photo with. Her name is Judy and she can't afford to go to school. I probably could help pay for it but if I can't do it for all, I can't do it for anyone they say here so I can't do that but I can tell her story in pictures and words, through laughter and tears. I'll tell her story and more hoping it empowers others. Even if it doesn't change anyone else's life, it'll change mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment