Monday, February 2, 2009

Day 4 February 1, 2009

Wow. It's February. I made it past the first couple days so far and I'm confident about what's to come. I definitely am learning my share of spanish words. It's broken of course much like Alex and Maria's english. We seem to manage though really well. Still, there is quite a ways to go. I must say, chillin at home with mi familia is pretty sweet. They are cool peoples and I think our relationship is going to get tighter as we go. Well today is Sunday and I went with Alex and Maria to church. It was this church called Hosana. It was gigantic. First of all, it was far from the house and service started at ten. We left about 9:45 or so. One thing I like and dislike about the Nicaraguan culture is the subject of punctuality. They are never "on time" as we Americans would call it because they don't have to be. It is a foundational structure in their culture to show up whenever they show up. If you have a meeting at 9am and they show up 30 mins, 60 mins or even an hour and a half later at times, it's ok because it's to be expected. At church people show up whenever they want and leave whenever they want. It was on the nicer side of town and reminded me a bit of my own home church. There were these beautiful large glass windows and they stay open the whole service so there can be a decent breeze flowing. The church also sits on a hill and it overlooks Laguna de Managua (the lake of Managua) and it is gorgeous. You can see a little bit of this on the photo right at the top of my blog which I took. Muy bonita! In church I didn't understand much but some of the songs were songs that I've sung in my church so that was cool. Afterwards, they talked to a few people and introduced me to some friends they know.

When we left, we went to la supermercado PriceMart for a rug, some folding chairs and a box of donuts. Americans ya know?!! haha I don't ask for these things but they are sweet for trying to make me feel like I'm back home. I like that. I also do think they are trying to get me fat. The portions I receive during breakfast and dinner at home are easily 2-3 times as much as everyone else. La gordita (fat girl, roughly) Maria told me. No Gracias!!!

Then we went to get lunch at some Pollo restaurante (chicken). It was really tasty. There was onion, corn tortillas, bean dip and chicken of course. For dessert we got a little cup that was like flan and bread pudding. Delicioso. We also saw the pastor there so I met him and his family. At home, I took a short nap because the -itis had set in.

Since it was SUPER BOWL SUNDAY!! We went to an Americano restaurante called Hippos. We all had stuff like burgers and fries. I had a bacon burger (Dominic I'm sure you are surprised to hear that) :-) If you didn't know, Pittsburgh won of course but it was a good game. The fourth quarter is always so interesting. Afterwards, caught a taxi and went straight to bed at home. School begins Monday morning and from now on, Monday through Friday I gotta get up by 5:30 or 6am to catch the bus by 7 and get to class by 9. Aye Dios Mio! And yet Santo, Santo, Santo el Senor Dios poderoso. Buenas noche. (translation: Oh my God! and yet Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God almighty. Good night.)

No comments:

Post a Comment