Monday, February 9, 2009

Day 11 February 8, 2009 (Sun - Domingo)

"We can learn nothing except by going from the known to the unkown (Claude Bernard)."

It's truly been a great weekend! This morning we went to church, a different one from last week. Somebody gave me a little insight that they're taking me to churches founded by North Americans so I feel 'at home' sort of. Completely unnecessary but a kind gesture. The church services are still all in Spanish though. This week I understood more random words that last week before I had any spanish classes. I am confident that each week will get easier. After church Alex, Maria, Cesar and I went out for pizza. I love it when they do little thing that are American that they figure I'll like. Once again I don't need special treatment but the pizza was delicious. At the restuarant we watched the Celtics/Spurs game. It was like Americano day or something. I think it must of been a real touristy spot because there was a chinese food place, Mexican food and Subway all right across the street.

At night was the best part though. On Sunday nights, Alex and Maria do church in their home. So like 12 people came over and we sang some worship songs and had a pastor do a sermon. It was really cool plus a few people have studied English here in one of the universities so they were excited to practice on me and I figure since they know what it's like to learn an unfamiliar language, we'll get along just fine. They were super nice and one girl invited me over to come meet her family. Making Nica friends I am! I loved it and to finish off the night we watched Jack Bauer on "24" using the projector screen on the wall for a big screen movie night. It was so great!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, NBA? 24? Pizza? It's like you never left the States! :-)
    So glad to hear that you're enjoying yourself down there, Dilaun.
    And I hope any advice/heads up that I gave has helped, haha
    - Jordan

    ReplyDelete